Thursday, April 2, 2009

Should I tip for room service?

I am staying at the Hilton in Athens and ordered room service. I am already paying 17.50 euro for a pizza, 12.00 euro for a lemon tarte, and 6.50 euro for a glass of ice tea. The room service has a deliver charge of 8.00 euro - do I still tip on top of that? I don't normally order room service but I am in the middle of a conference call so I don't have much of a choice.

Thanks.


It's a good idea to tip if you don't want to eat Spit-Pizza with Spit-Ice Tea.

And it's right what the other poster says, delivery people get nothing from all that over-priced stuff. So you can expect them to be not very happy if you don't tip.

I would go by what is normally customary in the country where you are. If tipping is customary then I would definitely tip the staff but if it isn't and in their country it is considered rude (like your paying because the service isn't good enough) then I would not. If you're totally unsure you can call downstairs to the desk to see what is customary.

No different than if you go to an over priced restaurant or order in a pizza at home.....you always tip the delivery person. They have nothing to do with the prices that are being charged so don't stiff them for a tip because of that. If you don't tip then likely if you order room service next time it will take a very long time to get it and even if you do like the other person posted you could have spit-iced tea, etc.

Unfortunately, it is expected and one of the reasons I never order room service. It is overpriced and usually inferior food. If there is a delivery charge, I would not feel the need to tip as much, but some sort of tip would still be expected.

a tip is usually included in room service in addition to the other charges tacked on. i usually tip a few extra dollars on top of that anyway. but i as with all tipping, it is not required.

It is typical to tip the person who delivers. Just because you are being over charged by the hotel doesnt mean that the person delivering your food is getting a cut of it.

I usually always tip over the recommended 15%. But if they tack on a delivery charge. Well that is all they get.

yup i agree with JC

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP